
...jiggidy, jig.
No major problems at all. I got tired walking in the Newark airport -- I swear it must have been four miles from the gate to baggage claim. I had to sit down three times before I got to an area labeled "Customer Care." I figured that, since I was a customer, they could care. I asked if I could get transportation to the baggage claim area and they got one of the golf carts. It was at least as far as I'd already walked.
I had a great time with my friends who I knew from previous conventions and online. They were fantastic. I only told a couple of people that I was going to be there, so most folks were surprised. It was pretty great to have people's faces light up just to see me. Everybody ought to have an experience like that at least once in their lives.
The people that I mostly hung out with took really good care of me without being smothering. When I needed to sit down, they helped me find a chair. When I was hungry or thirsty, they got me what I needed.
The picture is when I gave the celeb I was going to see (I don't dare mention his name or the blog will be inundated with other fans) a package of smoked salmon. It sort of has become a tradition. I was telling him that he had to share it with his manager, the man sitting next to him. J (the celeb) said that he was on a protein-only diet and this was a treat he could actually eat. He wasn't sharing it with anybody.
On the trip home, I got the airline to bring out a wheelchair, which allowed me to not only get to the gate without falling down, but got me through the security line fast.
It took several days for my muscles to stop hurting. But I think the end result is that I'm physically stronger. The good it did to me emotionally is beyond measure.

2 comments:
Great picture! I'm so happy that you had a good time and that everyone was so good to you.
I was worried about the trek through airports--glad you used their services.
One thing I've learned is not to be shy about the things I need. I do whatever I can to be on my own, but I've learned that I can't always be the independent person I used to be. Pride goes out the window when it comes to necessity. I might have missed my plane home if I wouldn't have had the wheelchair.
Post a Comment